Collaborative Dimensional Modeling, from Whiteboard to Star Schema
Agile Data Warehouse Design is a step-by-step guide for capturing data warehousing /business intelligence (DW/BI) requirements and turning them into high performance dimensional models in the most direct way: by modelstorming (data modeling + brainstorming) with BI stakeholders.
The book describes BEAM✲, an agile approach to dimensional modeling, for improving communication between data warehouse designers, BI stakeholders and the whole DW/BI development team. BEAM✲ provides tools and techniques that will encourage DW/BI designers and developers to move away from their keyboards and entity relationship based tools and model interactively with their colleagues.
Within the book, you will learn:
- Agile dimensional modeling using Business Event Analysis & Modeling (BEAM✲)
- Modelstorming: data modeling that is quicker, more inclusive, more productive and more fun!
- Telling dimensional data stories using the 7Ws (who, what, when, where, how many, why and how)
- Modeling by example not abstraction; using data story themes, not crow's feet, to describe detail
- Storyboarding the data warehouse to discover conformed dimensions and plan iterative development
- Visual modeling: sketching timelines, charts and grids to model complex process measurement simply
- Agile design documentation: enhancing star schemas with BEAM✲ dimensional shorthand notation
- Solving difficult DW/BI performance and usability problems with proven dimensional design patterns
For more information including a downloadable eBook sampler and BEAM✲ templates visit modelstorming.com
You'll get an eBook (Tablet-Friendly, DRM-free PDF).